Best free standing punching bag will enable the best simulation of a real opponent for some reasons, but which should you buy for training sessions in 2018?
With our dedication to helping you choose the best free standing heavy bag which will make a world-class hard hitter out of you, we spent a huge number of hours trying to find the best one for Muay Thai fighter. We focused on their functionality, material, filling, weight, price, durability and realistic feeling. It is very important whether a free standing heavy bag simulates a real human or it behaves purely like a hitting bag.
How to choose BEST free standing PUNCHING bag
When it comes to the choice of the best free standing punching bag, a very important criterion is how does it look like. Will it look like your opponent or it will be just like every other hitting bag?
The free standing heavy bag usually isn’t long like a regular heavy bag. It is very good for specific training sessions like head or body strikes. We are focusing on the facts and benefits you may get from a free standing heavy bag. We don’t favor the brand. If the free standing heavy bag is narrower, it will be designed for more types of strikes. If it looks like a real human, you will be able to train a specific strike, for example, diagonal kick to the rib or a downward roundhouse kick to the back of the opponent’s head.
What are the advantages of this type of product?
First, a huge number of standing heavy bags is not suitable for low kicks. You need to reconsider whether you want to work on your elbows, punches, knees or kicks. If you want to improve your high roundhouse kick, the best choice is a tall bag or a bag which simulates the real human. If you want to work on your clinching and footwork, this part may be easier because the base of the bag has round shape. It generally means some strikes are limited.
The second thing – what is the shape of the bag? Is it human shaped or banana shaped? Human shaped bag enables a more specific type of training. On the other hand, a banana shaped free standing heavy bag is heavier. It will enable harder kicks and punches.
The third thing is filling. The human shaped bag is usually made of a softer material (mostly gel) and the base is filled with water. On the other side, a banana shaped bag is covered with nevatear, canvas or leather. Is it loaded with foam/stuffing, water, gel?
Fourth, do you need a free standing heavy bag that stands still or that swings a little bit? As well as you know, it cannot swing as a classic style heavy bag. If you want to train cardio, movement, and footwork, a banana shaped bag may come in handy. On the other side, if you aim for precision and realistic strikes, better find a lighter free standing heavy bag to simulate the movements of your opponent.
Under number four, you can count durability, stiffness, feel… If the bag tears apart or cracks easily, stay away from it. Better spend 40-50 dollars more and don’t think about it.
Things to look
First, you need to look is whether the free standing heavy bag has some damages. Go across the bag with the dorsal side of your hand. If you feel unevenness, stay away from it. Hit it few times, take a look whether the feel is good or not.
The second thing is the price. If you want a free standing heavy bag which is human shaped, you will hardly find a good one under 200 dollars. If you need a banana shaped bag, be ready to spend at least 150 dollars. Unfortunately, Thailand is not much known for the best free standing punching bag s. You can find a cheaper bag, but will the quality fulfill your expectations?
The third thing – can you adjust the height? This is very important – maybe your opponent is few inches taller than you. An adjustable free standing heavy bag will cost more money, but it will prepare you better.
The last thing is the brand. Yes, a good brand will probably provide more quality, but you will need more money. There are high-quality brands like Century and Everlast.
These are our recommendations. Do you want to be a lighting fast or a super strong fighter? Do you want to improve the power of your punches? More you know about yourself, bigger the chance you will buy the best free standing heavy bags for your needs.
Top 4 Muay Thai BEST free standing PUNCHING bag s
|Century BOB XL with Base Unit||24 x 24 x 61 inches ; 55.1 pounds||Human Shape||#1|
|Ringside Elite Free-Standing Boxing Punching Heavy Bag||64 x 30 x 16 inches;|
|Century Wavemaster XXL Training Bag||67 x 19 x 19 inches ; 52.9 pounds||Red, Blue, Black||#3|
|NEW Everlast PowerCore Free Standing Heavy Bag||Approx 5' tall ||Black||#4|
1. Century Bob XL with Base Unit (#EDITOR'S CHOICE)
- You can create a realistic feel like you really hit your opponent.
- You can move around the bag and train footwork, movement, quick strikes, and long distance fighting.
- There is a more striking surface for head and body training. You can train precision.
- You can even perform low kicks – the bag is longer.
- The bag is adjustable.
- The bag is made of plastisol body filled with urethane foam – it improves the resistance.
- Price – it costs 270-400 dollars, even on sale it doesn’t go under 370 dollars. But don’t worry, it’s worth.
- You can load it with water or sand, it is good but if a tiny hole is created, you will have to clean up the sand or train on the wet surface.
- You can knock the bag out with a teep kick or a push kick, which is totally unrealistic. In a real fight, only extremely hard kick or the counter kick can knock your opponent out.
2. Ringside Elite Free Standing Kicking Punching Heavy Bag
Ringside Elite Free-Standing Boxing MMA Fitness Workout Training Kicking Punching Heavy Bag
It is a very functional and excellent product of Ringside. Ringside Elite offers a lot of high-quality things in one bag. Unfortunately, the quality requires money.
- Expert assembly option is available for more money.
- You can train all types of strikes, even low kicks, and clinch.
- The bag has a shock-absorbing foam, which is encased in a durable synthetic leather shell. It has an additional layer of protection while kicking and excellent durability.
- It is perfect for your home or gym, you can move it the way you want.
- The design of the bag can be fit in many surrounds.
- The bag hardly falls over.
- The price – 400 dollars is not cheap.
- If you load with water or sand, a tiny hole can create a mess.
Frequently bought together
3. Century Wavemaster XXL Training Bag
This is one more world-class product from century. Century Wavemaster XL training bag allows almost every type of strike. This is an extra large martial arts bag. It offers a high-quality training surface.
- The bag has more classic style, so it will be harder to take it down when you hit hard.
- Three colors are available.
- The bag has a durable vinyl cover and high-density foam, which means fewer chances to cut yourself while kicking and better durability.
- The bag has excellent weight distribution.
- The bag is not adjustable, and the height is only 69 inches.
- Like other best free standing punching bag, even on sale, this free standing heavy bag doesn’t cost under 300 dollars.
Frequently bought together
IncStores - 1" MMA Interlocking Foam Tiles - Perfect for martial arts
4. Everlast PowerCore Free Standing Heavy Bag (#BEST PRICE)
One more awesome product from Everlast. As much as the bag looks it is for punching only, it offers a lot more positive things. Everlast improved the new model significantly.
- The bag bounces when you hit, and this enables the realistic feel with combinations and quick strikes.
- The bag is adjustable.
- The price is great – 122 dollars.
- The bag is made of Styrofoam, which means the quality is great.
- Shipping is free.
- You can fill with water or sand, but there is always the risk of creating the mess.
- The bag will bounce a lot if you hit hard, no matter how much you fill it.
- You can only train, for example, chest punches and head punches at the same time. The upper part is simply too small.
If you want to choose the best free standing punching bag which is human shaped, Century Bob XL is definitively your favorite.
If you have a lot of money and you can purchase a high-quality bag, Ringside Elite is your best choice.
Last, you want a good free standing heavy bag for quick strikes and all types of training sessions which is not too expensive, choose Everlast. The price is quite acceptable.
Or you could click here to find a good classic style heavy bag.
Which one will you choose?
Do you enjoy our article, :D. Help us to introduce this site to your friends and others.