Why do we want to say about the Judo mats?
First, Jiu Jitsu and Judo training usually begins with learning to fall.
- If you want to master Judo techniques, enjoy them and become a badass judoka, you must spend countless times in training (randori) and you will throw and fall lots of time.
- Especially if you want to perform breathtaking attractive throws like tomoe nage or harai goshi, where the opponent flies two meters in the air and slams off the tatami very hard, you will feel deeply about the benefits of good Judo mats.
Second, good Judo mats and Judo crash mats are more important if you are a dojo who teach or train others, even kids. Why?
- You definitely want to protect them from the impact of throws.
- A comfortable training room helps a lot to boost the performance.
- Good equipments, such as good mats make your class look professional and attract more trainees.
Therefore, if you are a serious Judo trainer or trainee, you should find best Judo crash pads and best Judo rolling mats.
The protection is gold, even if you practice at home or in an Olympic-standard training room!
However, there are lots of Judo mats providers on the market, that’s why finding best Judo mats (Judo rolling mats, Judo crash pads or landing pads) for your judoka has been a headache puzzle now.
In additional, setting up Judo mats is not an easy task.
If you are finding them, this post is definitely for you.
We spent a large number of hours trying to find the high-quality judo mats that will turn your training sessions into an enjoyment.
And that isn’t all! You can do variety sports or martial arts with these mats:
- Grappling sports such as MMA, BJJ or wrestling.
What Is A Perfect Judo Floor?
In a brief summary, a good Jiu jitsu or Judo floor should be firm but soft, mostly smooth, not slick and not tacky.
The perfect Judo floor in a dojo, if you have enough budget, go with real tatami mats from Z-Athletic mats (Zebra mats), Soozie mats on a “sprung floor” (mats on top of large sheets of plywood, with the plywood on top of stiff-but-springy supports, like old car tires or closed cell foam).
Only tatami (Judo landing mats) maybe not enough, they cannot take 100% the impact, especially on some hard surfaces, example concrete. In Judo, you should have a sub-floor under the tatami to absorb the impact of throws.
- If you already set up a good “sprung floor”, an alternative for tatami mats are the interlocking mats (jigsaw mats) which you can see in many MMA or BJJ dojo. They are a little thinner (about 1 inch) and cheaper than real Judo tatami mats.
Another problem with interlocking mats is they will curl and lift at the interlocking edges after long time, so, they can lead to injuries with people catching toes and ankles.
- If you tend to set up a personal training for your kids at home, or you want to save more space in your training room, folding mats (introduced below) are good choices. By folding them up, you can easily carrying and storage.
Judo Mats & Judo Crash Mats - What Is The Difference?
Many jiu jitsu fighters will get confused by Judo mats and Judo crash mats. They are all your vital protections in Judo & Jiu Jitsu trainings, but in different situations.
#1 - Judo Traditional Mats
The Judo traditional mats or tatami mats, as we mentioned in previous part, is a must-have item if you want to play the uke’s role. It must be tougher than martial art crash mats, enough to land foot on it. If it’s too soft, the performance of your training sessions will be reduced significantly.
On the market or Amazon, there are 3 types of Judo tatami mats:
- Martial art folding mats
- Grappling rolling mats
- Interlock mats (jigsaw or puzzle mats)
Martial art folding mats
- Perfect Judo mats for home and also in club training room, firm but comfortable support
- They are the most common type of martial art landing mats you can find on Amazon.
- Made for home and garage gym use, folding mats are suitable for personal use, both adult and kids. Usually attached the handles, they are very easy to carry.
- By folding up them, they help you to save your space for storage and also keep them not to be dusty.
- They are multi-purpose, not only for Judo, you can buy one mat for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, gymnastics, yoga, wrestling.
- In buying these items, you should buy mats with good joining system (usually by velcro) to make them stay stable.
- Make sure to choose mats which have a high quality cover.
Grappling rolling mats
- This type is good if you want to set up a training room fast in your dojo, very easy to set up.
- They are thinner than folding mats, about 1.2-1.5 inches.
- You should choose smooth surface when you buy them.
- Personally, I think they are better for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA or wrestling than Judo, but rolling mats maybe enough if you train only kids and you already set up a “sprung floor” under.
Interlocking Mats (Jigsaw or puzzle mats)
- Nowadays, interlock mats are very common, you can use them to set up as large area as you need.
- They are even thinner than rolling mats.
- They are ok for grappling mats such as BJJ or MMA, but I don’t recommend them for Judo, but they can be used to set up the training room basement.
- As I said, they will curl and lift at the interlocking edges after long time.
#2 - Judo Crash Mats
Only the tatami mats cannot absorb all shocks from hard Judo throws, in some situations, we need the martial art crash pads to secure the protection.
Every professional Judo club should have them and use them.
Martial art crash mats are thicker than Judo tatami.
As making of different material, they are also softer, which will be better to distribute the shock energy broadly.
One disadvantage of this type, it will reduce the training performance as it is soft for landing foot.
Top 7 Folding Judo Mats For Home & Training RoomS
High-quality 18oz vinyl
2" thick firm
White high density EPE foam
High density EPE foam covered by Eco Friendly PU leather
Durable Polyvinyl chloride(PVC)
Cover with leather
Black, pink, blue, purple
Many Colors, include Blue
Blue, Black, Rainbow
Blue or 4 colors
#1 - Z-Athletic Martial Arts & Judo Mats Version 4 - Perfect judo landing mats for your training sessions at home or club
Different from most of other martial arts folding mats, Z-Athletic Martial Arts & Judo Mats V4 is made of four connected rectangle mats. This feature allows you to expand your training area as large as possible.
This gym mat is covered by high-quality 18oz vinyl, very strong and easy for cleaning, only need water and soap.
2″ is a perfect thickness for Judo tatami mats. Furthermore, it contains high-density cross-linked polyethylene foam, one of best shock absorbing material for Judo mats, medium soft but firm enough for walking.
With its thickness and material, this folding mat can absorb even the strong throws.
Manufacture by Zebra mats, top-quality sport mats provider, this mat is a great choice for Judo and Jiu Jitsu clubs who want to set up a long-lasting rolling area.
Product reviews: 4.6/5 (See Reviews)
- Hook and loop connections are on both sides, you have the ability to connect this folding mats for a perfect training session.
- It is available in four colors, you have a blue color mat.
- Zebra Athletics also provide 3 size options: 2’x6’x2″ for personal sports, 4’x8’x2″ for fighting sports and a wide option 5’x10’x2″ for clubs.
- Lead free and CPSIA standard.
- A 2-year warranty is a not a long period of time.
- The downside has the strong vinyl smell.
Z-Athletic Martial Arts & Judo Mats V4
#2 - Soozier Leather Martial Arts Mat - Highly functional folding mats, especially for Judo
It is good for many other activities like aikido, karate, yoga, pilates, exercises… Blue version of Soozier Leather Landing Mat is made for martial arts, especially judo.
Product reviews: 4.5/5 (686 reviews)
- Soozie landing mat is made of high-density foam. It is eco-friendly
- It is also 2” thick like Z-athlete V4 folding pad – it can handle even the hardest throws!
- The mat has a durable leather cover. Its leather is very easy for cleaning and maintenance.
- Its cost is not expensive.
- This Judo mats have many colors to choose.
- You can connect this landing mats in a row easily since there is Velcro on all four sides.
- This tatami mat is highly functional and it absorbs hard throws.
- Sewing is very uneven and the smell is very strong when you open it.
- No warranty on the product.
Soozier PU Leather Martial Arts Crash Mat
#3 - Wacces Pu Leather Folding Mat - Excellent Judo mats for shock absorption
Wacces Leather Mat provides you with the feel of superb cushioning.
It is very comfortable and it has four 2” thick mats in a pack.
Product reviews: 4.5/5 (71 reviews)
- You can add cushioning to the floor to prevent the posture of your athlete during ground training sessions.
- This landing mat is multi-purpose but it is also an excellent Judo mat for shock absorption.
- It is made of EPE foam and the cover is made of eco-friendly leather.
- Its leather cover make this mat easy for cleaning and maintenance.
- Some buyers reported that this landing mat could easily rip apart in the middle if you slide over it a lot.
- There is no velcro – it may affects the durability.
#4 - Polar Aurora Pu Leather Martial Arts Mats - High-Quality Judo mats without spending much money
This is a very cheap mat with high-quality.
Polar Aurora Martial Arts Mat Pad is the best choice for someone who wants high-quality without spending much money.
With the dimensions of 4’x8’x2″, this mat is a great choice for all judokas.
Product reviews: 4.8/5 (94 reviews)
- This landing mat is made of durable polyvinyl chloride (PVC), which improves durability.
- It is covered with high-quality EPE foam.
- There is velcro on two edges to connect end to end and every panel has a zipper.
- Shipping is available.
- It is very easy for maintenance and carrying – very portable martial arts mat.
- If you slide down the mat a lot, it can scrap in the middle. To avoid this, try to enhance its middle connect parts.
#5 - BalanceFrom GoGym All-Purpose High Density Anti-Tear Folding PU Leather Mat - Multipurpose, very mobile & comfortable Judo mats
This is one of excellent judo mats, available in sky blue color. Your gym will shine brightly with BalanceFrom GoGym All-Purpose High Density Anti-Tear Folding PU Leather Mat.
The dimensions of 4’x10’x2″ allow the absorption of any type of shock.
Product reviews: 4.6/5 (214 reviews)
- This landing mat is made of high-density foam, which improves durability.
- It is covered with a leather cover and it has handles. It is very mobile and easy to carry.
- The product is very durable. Even the heaviest throws are not the problem with this tatami mat.
- There are velcro straps on each part of the mat.
- Easy to clean.
- The middle part of the mat is critical if you perform transitions.
PU Leather Landing Mats
#6 - We Sell Mats Gymnastics Tumbling Exercise Folding Martial Arts Mats - Provide good shock absorption but won't affect your footworks
We Sell Mats is a high-quality mats provider, and you can also trust the quality of their products, such as We Sell Mats Folding Martial Arts Mats with Hook & Loop Fasteners.
Product reviews: 4.7/5 (see reviews)
- More thickness options. You can choose 1.5″ or 2″. If your club has a good base floor, 1.5″ mats is a economic choice, cheaper and lighter.
- This mat is firm enough but still provide good shock absorption, so it won’t affect your footworks. Perfect for grappling martial arts such as BJJ, MMA or wrestling.
- The price is affordable.
- Waterproof, thick and high-quality vinyl cover with strong stitching.
- With good velcro at the edge, you can make a large area with these mats.
- It’s a little bit stiff if you want to try really hard throws. If you want to find a softer mats with We Sell Mats, you could switch to We Sell Mats Folding Exercise Gym Mats
- The smell of vinyl cover might bother sensitive people.
- The cover is unremovable for cleaning.
#7 - Best Choice Products 4'x10'x2 Gymnastics Folding Mats - Economic choice with good thickness and cushioning material
Best Choice Products 4’x10’x2 Gymnastics Folding Mats is an excellent and economic choice for Judo.
A folding mats designed for gymnastics, but with good thickness and cushioning material, you should consider it when you want to build a good floor for your Judo or Jiu Jitsu class.
Product reviews: 4.6/5 (see reviews)
- Cheap price.
- 4’x10’x2″ is a really good size for grappling training.
- 4 color variations.
- Non toxic, with non-absorbent PU leather, you won’t feel uncomfortable with the smell.
- Easy for cleaning.
- Soft, personally, I think it’s softer than We Sell Mats products
- PU leather is not last long as other cover materials.
- No Velcro on the sides, just at the end.
- They might be slip on wood floor, you can use tape to secure them.
- Have only 1 size.
Top Judo Crash Mats & Detail Reviews
#1 - Z-Athletic Gymnastics Tumbling Martial Arts Exercise Crash Mat - Top high quality with an affordable price for martial arts fighters
If you love practicing hard Judo throws but don’t want to hurt your partner, first up in our look at these whole martial art crash mats on the market should be Z-Athletic Gymnastics Tumbling Martial Arts Exercise Crash Mat.
With the quality of a Zebra Athletic, this landing mats is a perfect balance of price and protection for all kinds of outdoor and indoor sports.
Product reviews: 4.8/5 (see reviews)
- High quality with an affordable price.
- 4 colors and 3 sizes.
- The core is made of open cell foam, so it’s softer than the tatami mats and have a proper cushioning, but not too soft.
- 4″ thickness provides enough protection for variety of landing falls.
- The cover is also high-quality 18oz vinyl, same as other Zebra mats, so it’s easy for cleaning and last long.
- Non-toxic cover with CPSIA standards.
- You can fold it up to save space or carry to another place.
- 2 years warranty.
- The cover thickness also make it a little bit firm.
- It does not have the handles to carry
- This mat also does not have Velcro along the side.
#2 - IncStores Landing Mats for Gymnastics, Practice, Martial Arts, Wrestling, MMA, Impact and Training - Best choice if the protection is your top priority
IncStores Landing Mats are definitely my choice if the protection is my top priority. With their quality, thickness material, they are unmatched when we mention about the shock absorption for all kind of sports.
Despite the high price, if your budget is not limited, this new IncStores product is a worth investment for your professional training room.
Product reviews: 4.5/5 (see reviews)
- This crash mat has mesh along side, which allows air escape easily, bring a perfect shock absorption.
- 4 sizes with 2 thickness variations.
- Crosslink PE foam, not too firm, not too soft.
- 8″ or 12″ thickness will protect you from all kinds of shock energy .
- Covering by durable 18oz vinyl fabric with mildew and mold resistant keep this mat in good hygiene.
- Portable, it has handles.
- 3 years warranty.
- Cannot fold it up.
- Heavy and large.
What to Look When Purchasing The Judo Mats & Judo Crash Mats
#1 - How thick should Judo mats be?
It depends on whether you look for training Judo crash pads or competition Judo mats.
On average, when it comes to the world-class competitions, Judo tatami mats should be at least 40mm or 1.6 inches thick.
But I personally recommend 2-inches mats or thicker because they are not easy to go “through”.
Especially if your training room does not have a sub floor (as I mentioned above), 1 or 1.5 inches is not enough to avoid the risks that will be created when a hard judo throw or slam is performed.
With the crash pads, the high-quality judo crash mats need to be thicker to have an ability to absorb the shock from the deadliest throws such as Koshi Guruma, .
To reach this standard, it should be at least 4 inches thick.
#2 - What are Judo mats made of?
Traditionally, Judo landing mats were made of woven rice straw, but nowadays, most of them is made of foam and wrapped by vinyl or PU leather.
When it is about material type of Judo tatami, high density closed-cell cross-linked PE foam should be one of the best choices, due to these characteristics:
- A combination of light cushion and fall protection, thank to the ability to rebound quickly.
- Firm enough to stand on it.
- Cross-linked make it waterproof.
For the Judo crash pads, good materials may be open-cell PU foam or closed-cell PE foam.
- Open-cell PU foam distribute the shock broader than closed-cell PE foam.
- Open-cell PU foam is softer and provides better shock absorption than PE foam, but because it’s softer, it can reduce your training performance.
- Open-cell foam also has another weakness, it can absorb water and last sooner than PE material.
There are different material densities which can affect the impact absorption characteristics of PU foam.
Make sure to ask the seller whether your Judo crash pad has the ability to maintain the strongest throws.
You can try some throw in the store too, why not? Fall on judo mats and feel them.
Every Judo mat has some specific features – smell, water proofing, deterioration…
#3 - What is its surface?
Good surface for judo and jiu jitsu mats should be smooth (to avoid mat burn) and non-slip.
Most of judo and jiu jitsu mats on the market are covered by vinyl synthetic leather or polyurethane (PU) leather.
Vinyl cover is cheaper, repel moisture and clean easier, while the latter is softer, flexible, more greener (non-toxic) and last longer.
#4 - How long does it last?
Longevity is properly one more important feature of judo mats.
There is no problem when you buy it, but take a look at 2 important points: the warranty and the buyer grades.
If the mat lasts longer, you will have the opportunity to buy once and enjoy for the next five or ten years.
One important thing – if you keep mats in the spare room, there is a chance deterioration process will be faster.
#5 - Where could you buy a Judo mat?
You need to realize there is a difference between manufacturers.
Manufacturers in China are different than the manufacturers in Europe.
Usually, the quality of Chinese products are not as high as European or US standard, but their price is cheaper accordingly.
#6 - How much does it cost for a good Judo mat?
And the most important thing – you will have to be ready to invest some money in a good Judo training room, especially if you want to cover a whole training area with the perfect floor with good Judo tatami mats.
For a good folding Judo mats, the price is around 150 bucks or higher.
With martial arts crash pads, be ready to spend at least 300 dollars.
#7 - How often should you clean jiu jitsu mats?
A dojo should clean the mats after every block of classes.
If there is enough time between classes for the mats to dry, they should be cleaned.
REMEMBER: No shoes on the mat, and no being barefoot off the mat
Wrap It Up
There are many good judo mats (tatami). If you want to find the most suitable ones for your training sessions, make sure the thickness is at least 2 inches. It will keep your practitioners safer.
But if your pocket is deep, Zebra Mats Z-Athletic Martial Arts Version 4 is an outstanding choice.
Do you enjoy our article, :D. Help us to introduce this site to your friends and others.
Teaching, Friendly, Young, Passion. Always wanna go up & down. Hey, you gotta live, do you?
I would like to add more useful articles for Martial Arts Community. Do you have any feedback for me? What can I do better for my blog?
Hope to receive your warm feedback.
Robert Sterling // Author